The Porcupine Collection offers:
– carefully levelled texts with an appropriate degree of challenge at each level.
– colourful and attractive illustrations which support and extend the text.
– clear print and layout with emphasis on size and position of type and its relationship to illustrations at each level.
– settings and characters which reflect the multicultural diversity of contemporary Canada.
– varied fiction and nonfiction text types including narrative, recount, report, procedural, – explanation, traditional tales and humour.
– topics and design features which stimulate curiosity, interest, and desire to read.
– texts designed to support student’s ability to read strategically and independently.
The lesson plans for the transitional reader build on the literacy strategies that were featured in Porcupine Sets 1-10. Through techniques that extend your students’ knowledge of the alphabetic code and assist them in gaining meaning from what they read, the lesson plans will help you lead transitional readers to make inferences and discern deeper meanings.